Province of Guanacaste
|The province that in 1824 on the strength of referendum,
was annexed from Nicaragua to Costa Rica. Its name means "the place with eared
trees". In the years 1858 - 1860 was named Moracia. It`s the driest province of Costa Rica. For the half of the year,
November through April, it receive almost no rain, and that`s why it`s calle
"the piece of Africa in Costa Rica", "Texas of Costa Rica" and "Costa Rica`s
Wild West". It`s converted into cattle ranches (Three quarters of Costa Rica's
cattle are found in Guanacaste) and that`s why it`s called "the cattle
province". It`s also destinguished by rich folclor. It`s covered by dry
|The biggest artificial lake in Central America. In 1973 the
small lake was greatly enlarged through the construction of a hydroelectric
dam. It`s situated in the eastern part of Guanacaste province, 6 kilomnetres to
the North from Tilaran. Its the most eastern part belongs to the next Alajuela
province. The total area of surface is 75 km. There the winds blow almost daily
from November until May, and because of that it`s perfect place for surf and
windsurf lovers (it`s considered to be the best place for surfing in world).
It`s also popular for water skiing and angling. The temperature of water is between 18 and 21 C.
Recent satellite photos have identified several ancient
Native American settlements at the bottom of the lake; archaeological studies
suggest they may be 2,000 years old.
|A village onthe Panamerican Highway. It got the municipal rights in 1918. Several adobe bricks
houses date back several centuries. From there deviated a road to Palo Verde
National Park. In 1831 was born there former president Thomas Guardia Gutierrez (another famous inhabitant was atronomer Pedro Nolasco). A local earthquake hit Bagaces on August 1th 1935 and caused
|The transport hub on the Panamaerican Highway. It is placed on 90 m.a.s.l. One of the
main commercial centre in Guanacaste. In 1921 it got the municipal rights. Around the town spread dry, hot plains.
The city was named for the white-flowered wild cane that still grows in
|2-km long beach in horseshoe shape on the Nicoya
peninsula coast. It`s distinguished by gentle waves. There is a dominated a town
|It`s placed in the horse-shoe-shaped bay of the same name. On that are situated small pizzerias, open-aired bars and
discotegues. From May to July is held so called Fiesta of the Virgin of the Sea.
It`s connected with arranging of boat-races in beach and in Puntarenas port. The sea shore is abundance with fishes that weigh up to 50 kg.
|The only in Costa Rica pink beach. Named for the tiny
ground-up shells that line the shore. It`s a cove-beach covered by tropical
|It`s horse-shoe-shaped, cliff rimmed bay, opened into vast Papagayo Bay. It`s held between Punta Ballena to the south and peninsula of Nacascolo to the north (the last is known for archeological sites). It`s a part of so called "Papagayo project - they plans to build there many huge hotel resorts).
|A village at the entrance to the Nicoya peninsula. Through
that flows Las Palmas river. In 1947 it got the municipal rights. On september of 1999, almost all the centre was
covered by flooding.
|[Playa Blanco]. The capital of Carillo canton. A village-white-sand beach
beach at the eastern part of Guanacaste province. It has developed for
sport-fishing and boating. It used to be named Playa Blanca. It has one of the
largest in Central America fleet of sportfishing boats. It`s the first fuel dock
for boats heading south down the Pacific coast after Acapulco in Mexico. There
are many luxurious and private houses. Flamingo beach's southern ridge has a
tempestuous history, when in 60`s Hollywood director George Howarth, initiated
building the vacation retreats for artists.
|Pottery-making centre in pasturelands on the Nicoya
peninsula. It`s composed of 85 houses. Its inhabitants cultivate old Indian
traditions. They mould figures, pots, urns, vases and zoomorphic whistles whose
designs and techniques date from the Precolumbian Chorotegas tribe style. In
front of house there are tables on which ceramic souvenirs are sold. One can
witnesses the process of making them, modeling, drying and burning (in igloo
shaped stove) and painting of natural dyes that come from rain
|A 4 kms long light gray beach on the Nicoya peninsula
coast. It`s almost completely treesless. It`s distinguished by strong currents.
It`s popular among surfers, nevertheless it`s almost completely uncrowded. In
December and January the olive ridley sea turtles nest there but in small
|The capital of Abangares canton (called also Las Juntas de
Abangares). It was founded by union of Rio Abangaro and Quebrada Piedras. It`s
main highlights are old goldmines (the gold was mined there during 1884-1931).
In the park stands small engine from mine. In 1911 a huge miners` strikes took
place there. In 1991 was opened The Ecomuseum of the Abangares Mines. It
features photographs and models depicting the old mining practices of the area.
Above museum trails lead to mine artefacts such as bits of railway. Besides
there are a few historical houses. It has cobbled streets and on the triangular
square the bronze statue of miner stands. 5 kilometres from Las Juntas, in La Sierra the first in
Guanacaste Mining Centre functioned. Till today remained the powder ware house,
tool-house, tracks, engine, stone-pits and other elements used in that
|>(25.000). The biggest town on Nicoya peninsula, rivaling in
the past with Liberia for the province capital site. It was named in honour of
Chorotegas cacigue, who as the first Indian leader welcomed in 1523 Gil Gonzales
Davila expedition. It got the municipal rights in 1918. The oldest building in town is placed in Central Park San
Blas C=church dated from XVIIth century (1644). It was declared the national
monument. Since 1982 inside there is a monument showing the collection of
sculptured figures, ornated chandeliers from copper, bronze and
silver. It`s the commercial centre of shepherding industry. At the
main square there are a few historical buildings, among others a cinema from
1930`s, which was converted into little cafe. In south-east corner rise the
Guanacaste tree wreathed in a few philodendrons. On every year on December 12th,
it`s held the fiesta de la yeguita - that blends ancient Indians ritual with
honouring the Virgin of Guadelupe.
|It consists of a village and three white-sand beaches
(Nosara, Guiones, Pelada) usually grouped together. They are backed by rolling
green hills. The villagers of Nosara are allowed to harvest eggs in nearby
Ostional Wildlife Refuge. Mny of them rent their houses for tourists for
weekends or monthes. The legend has it that on the place where today lies Nosara
Beach lived an Indian Nosara. She was a daughter of the chief and married a
young worrior named Curime from another tribe. Despite his outsider status, he
was appointed guardian of some gold statues. After another tribe attacked,
Nosara slashed her wrists to prevent their capture and the blood springing from
her wrists generated the river.
|Large bay in the northern part of Pacific coast. It
encompasses among others of the southern parts of Santa Rosa National Park ans
Arenilla Point with Panama beach. There is a plan to build there the biggest
touristic resorts in the country.
|Small pacific coast village on Nicoya peninsula. It has the
white-sand beach of the same name. There stand houses from bamboo for tourists.
Former president Oscar Arias Sanchez has a vacation house near that. Besides it
has small airstrip. The paved road arrived to that in 1996. Very close to the coast there is a Chora island, which is home to the many frigates... Its beach is lined by palms. The seacoast coral reef
weakens the power of waves. In 2000 was held there the first national triathlon.
|(17.000). It`s a town surrounded by hills on Nicoya
peninsula - the capital of canton of the same name. It`s a commercial province
centre declared as the National Folclor Town. Its inhabitants make nationwide
famous object with clay. It`s a transportation hub making possible to get to
famous beaches:Grande, Flamingo, Brasilito, Conchal, Potrero and
Jounquillal. That was settled around 1760 and at the beginning was
called Las Delicias. It was given its today`s name in honour of a wooden cross
which had been placed on the house of one of the first settlers.
|There are many colorful clapboard houses with planking
walls. In 1993 due to the fire in the centre of town, many of them was
destroyed. The Central Park is dominated by a pink clock tower, all that is left
of a colonial Santo Cristo de Esquipulas church (founded in 1804 by Miguel
Ramos) destroyed by an earthquake in 1950 and now overshadoved by a modern
church. To the east there is a large grassy Plaza de los Mangos with the most
impressive hotels. On every year in the second january week, is held festival
in honour of Black Christ of Esquipulas including folk dancing, bull`s fights
and marimba music. In 1993, in Santa Cruz took place the first in the country
Expomitor Touristic Trades. It was sponsored by Santa Cruz touristic
|(500). Popular among surfers the health-resort and small
village in western part of Guanacaste (it`s limited by Point of San Francisco to the south). The main street is sandy and lined by
hotels and restaurances. It has a local airstrip. The area is famous for
deep-sea-fishing. It has 2-kilometres long gray-sand beach backed by tamarind
trees (from which the name is derived) which give it its name (there is a
estuary covered by mangroves). In its southern part there is a point from
which an island of Capitan is visible. In the very remoted past, at that place the Tempsique river used to
fall directly into the ocean.
|The capital of canton of the same name, situated to the
south from Arenal Lake. Till 1910 that have been called La Cabra ("a goat" in
Spanish). Later on the request of inhabitant that was granted a name Tilaran.
The name makes up of two Indian words: Tilava ("strong rain") and Tlan ("the
place of huge floodings"). There is a low concrete, white, halfrounded church. In
front of the main entrance the high crooss is put and there is a park full of
cedars and pines. During April a rodeo and livestock show is held
here. Its vicinity is destinguished by different than the rest of
province climate. It`s rather similar to Meseta Central climate. The bicycle
trips are very popular there. In 2000, a fire gutted a nursing house. 17
residents that were trapped in the building, have been killed.