REPUBLIC OF COSTA RICA


.
.
.
GUEST BOOK


Administrative division
Province of San Jose
Province of Cartago
Province of Alajuela
Province of Puntarenas Province of Limon
Province of Heredia
Province of Guanacaste



 
PROVINCES: Province of Heredia

Barva
A town situated 2,5 kilometre to the North from Heredia. Its name has to do with the name of Huetar Cacigue, who used to live there in precolumbus days. Due to its colonial historistic buildings, it was declared the World Heritage Site. It`s favourite place for artists, who often settle there. It`s destinguished by well maintaied, palms shaded central square with the white, low church in the middle from 1767 (it has two side towers and half-rounded attic). On one side of the church is a grotto dedicated to the Virgin of Lourdes. It`s sorrounded by low, historic colorfull house made from adobe bricks. One of them - the former home of Cleto Gonzalez Viguez (twice president of Costa Rica) was declared a nation national monument in 1985. To the south from the town, there is a coffee plantations of Britt Cafe. For there are oraganized the trips, during which one can test the coffee

La Paz (waterfall)
Most famous waterfall in Costa Rica that cascades 1380 metres down. It`s in the place of confluation of Sarapigui river and a road leading to Puerto Viejo. A short trail leads behind the falls so that one can stand between the mountain side and the plunging river.

Monte de la Cruz
A peak, 16 kilometres to the North from Heredia on the altitude of 1970 metres a.s.l. The pine lined road leads to there. It`s maintained by San Rafael de Heredia Council. From the top spreads the panoramic views for Meseta Central. There are a few picnic areas. On afternoon nevertheless the visibility is limited due to the coming of clouds and fos. There used to stand the chapel, that in 1970`s was ruined. Now remains only a tiled-floor and a white concrete cross.

Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
It`s situated on the two rivers confluence: Rio Puerto Viejo and Rio Sarapigui. It`s importand inland port in the country. In the eastern edge of town there is a mole, where one can rent boats. Around the town there are a lot of banana and pineapples plantations. Only two pieces of primary, tropical forests remained in the vicinity: La Selva and Rara Avis. In 1993, in nearby plantation of pejibaye palms, 15 years old Jorge Arturo spotted Virgin de Sarapigui. Since that time many pilgrimms from all over the country come to that place.

5 kilometres to the south-east from the town there is a biological station La Selva. It`s maintaned by Organization for Tropical Studies. It covers 1600 ha of rain forest, that is stuck to the Braulio Carillo National Park edge. It`s one of four places in the world, where rain forests are researched. The ecotpuristic project Rara Avis was founded in 1983. Its 1300 ha of private reserve with the of rain forests nursery. There the first aerial tram in Costa Rica was constructed. There are carried research over ecological use of trees. Next to it El Plastico former prison is situated. There is also butterfly farm and Orchid Garden.


San Antonio de Belen
Small town with a new opened INTEL`s microprocessor assembly plant. In the vicinity there is opened in I 1995 open-air water park Acua Manoa. It`s on 1.300 square meters pool with volleyball, water slides and rope sw=ing plus underwater cave.

San Joaquin de Flores
That used to be named the Quebrada Seca (for the stream that flows through that). It`s situated to the west from Heredia. In 1969 it got the municipak rights. It has colonial-era church. During Easter Time are arranged one of the most impressive processions. Inhabitants are on the habit of dressing and played the Biblical scenes. It has the non-symetrical square of Corazon de Jesus and the Clinic of Jorge Volio. Through that flows the Quebrada Seca stream. On February 2001 police officers confiscated 77 forged archaeological pieces in there and arrested the two men who were selling them.

San Rafael
It`s place at the foot of Barva Volcano. It`s distinguished by a white Gothic church (completed in 1862) with ornated stained-glass windows. It`s visible from through out Meseta Central and bears strong hints of Notre Dame. It`s fronted by fountain with ornate frogs, kiosko with massive buttressed-legs and the plateau devoted for Rafael Angel Calderon. The town is surrounded by pine and cloud forests and emerald grey pastures. In 1995 on the north of town was established the Chompipe biological reserve.

Santa Barbara
(It used to be named Serrucho and later Barro de los Targuaces). Its currant name it derives from the faithful woman who constantly prayed for the statue of Saint Barbara and believed that it will protect the inhabitants. It`s distinguished by orange-colored church from 1852. There are colonial era adobe houses. There is the kiosko on the central square and on its western part there is a one storey school along the street. It`s home to the Institute of Coffee research laborathory and Coffee Museum. The Museum building is an adobe house dating from 1834. It has very steep streets.

Zurqui
A tunnel scraped out through the inactive old volcanoe, situated on the route San Jose-Limon. It belongs to the Braulio Carrillo National Park. It`s only highway tunnel in Costa Rica. The roadway inside is marked by the reflectors along the center line.

 
2004; SLUPSK; Rafal Cezary Piechocinski