(900.000). Thanks to its unusual architecture and the
landscapes it`s called the most beautiful capital in Central America. It`s
situated in Meseta Central at the level of 1.140 metres. It`s main
administrative and cultural centre of the country. It was set up on 21th of May 1737 as Villa Nueva Boca del
Monte. In 1884 became the third town in the world that installed public
electric lighting and one of the first with the telephones service.
Costa Ricans do not use street addresses. Instead, Ticos
use an archaic system of directions that makes perfect sense to them, but tends
to confuse foreigners. A typical Tico address could be 200 m north and 50 m east
of the Correos (Post Office). The key to interpreting such directions is to keep
track of east and west, and remember that a city block is 100 m (330 ft) long.
San Jose is devided into quarters so called barrios.
Banco Costa Rica
[Av. 3/calle Central]. It was erected in 1904 in neoclassic style. The former Luis Olle`s store. One-storeyed building with protuberant corner entrance and massive, too big dome supported by very thin columns.
[Av. Central-1/calles 2-4]. As institution it was established in 1914 (under the name Banc International) and changed its name to Banc National in 1936. There used to be the Square of Artilleria and the area at the eastern wall used to be occupied by St. Joseph
chapel. There is a conviction that it is the site from which the town was
born. It`s skyscraped building. The beton starcase in the center devides it into two parts. The structure is closed by the concrete frames that encompass the rows of windows (each of window is hided deep into the concrete surface). By the western wall of the bank there is a bronze sculpture of 12 Costa
Rica farming people.
The oldest San Jose quarter, full of historic houses (in
the past belonged to coffee barons), that often are converted into hotels. To
the north it`s limited by Torres river and 13th avenida, to the south by 7th
avenida, to the east by 9th street and to the west by the Central
Street. That was designed at the end of XIX century by Amon
Fasileau Duplantier-a brother-in-law of Hipolit Tournon (a representative of
Tournon firm, that derived profits from coffee cultivating). In 1892 Amon
suggested that municipal authorities should build the new quarter in San Jose.
In January 1894 the contract was entered. Soon to a new quarter the richest
inhabitants started to settle, and they were building very elegant houses in
different styles (victorian, eclectical, neoclassic and modern). The Association for Quarter Development made the bus
traffic in the quarter was moved out.
Barrio Coca Cola
There is the main bus station (it consists of several small
bus-stations). It`s considered to be a rough zone. There sometimes appear young
street criminals known popularly as "chapulines". It used to be a site of Coca Cola bottling facility.
Barrio Hospital). It`s spreaded within calle 18 and 24. It borders on the north side with cementerio general and on the south is devided by Rio Maria Aquilar. On August 29th 2003 it was flooded by that river. It is also on a fire red alert list.
Barrio Don Bosco
(Barrio Paseo Colon). Important western extension
of Avenida Central. A large number of car rentals and airline companies have
The wealthiest barrio in San Jose. It spreads on the eastern part of San Jose, within calles 31-37 and avenida 13 on the north side. It`s filled with small farms, gardens, and the houses of coffee barons. Houses are surrounded by wrought iron fences that limit ginger, coffee, pineapple and coconut plants.
Barrio Los Yoses
Semi-residencial quarter in the east part of town, limited to the east by Highway 39, to the west by calle 31 and to the north by Avenida Central. It`s
full of increasing number of first class hotels, restaurances and also up-scale
shopping malls. There is a historic Casa de Matute. It`s the quarter with the biggest concentration of apartotels in capital.
It`s spreaded to the north of Avenida 7, west of Calle 16. It`s working-class area. The most historic building there is an old church.
Less version of Barrio Amon (to the east of that). It`s
full of houses of turn-of-the century. There is a plan to make a renaissance of that area as the region of choice for intellectuals and nouveau riche.
There is situated the Zoologico Garden.
The western quarter of San Jose, full of elegant houses
including many ambassadors` residents. It is bordered by Rio Torres on the nothern side and by highway 104 to the south. On January 2000 there was a crush of the
Barrio San Pedro
The easternmost quarter of San Jose. Within that is
situated the University of Costa Rica. In the Music Department there is the Entomologic Museum
with the insects exhibits. There is put the fountain that used to stand at the Central Park (it features the child holding the neck of heron). There are a lot of bars and restaurants
for youth. There is situated the Flag Monument put in the centre of rond-point. In the quarter there are also the biggest in Central
America shopping mall (San Pedro Mall). It`s 8-stored building, looking as if to
be carved into the rock. The fifth and sixth floor has "Planet Mall", the
largest disco in Central America.
Barrio San Sebastian
Quarter in southern part of San Jose. Now it`s a plan to change its two major rondos: San Sebastian and Paso Ancho into interseccions with traffic lights.
Industrial quarter in North-West part of San Jose. There is the rondo of Juan Pablo II.
Boulevard of Ricardo Jimenez Oreamuno
The newest boulevard of San Jose (January 15th of 2002). It`s named for homenage of three-times president Ricardo Jimenez Oreamuno (in the beginning of XX). It spreads over 5.000 metres and links the southers edges of Nacional Park and the Tribunal of Justice building. It`s lined with palms and stood out by one precolombian granite ball. It`s paved with red-bricked pavement.
Building of CAJA
[Av.4/calle 5-7]. Many-storey building with futuristic, concrete facade. It`s nonsymmetrically cut by single or put in rows window. In some parts it`s distinguished by typical framework (vertical and horizontal concrete beams). It`s a seat of Costa Rica Tourism Board.s
[Av.Central-2/calle 2-4]. It has neoclasic, stone
structure and is the biggest church in the capital. It was set up in 1871. (On
the same place previously stood the chapel dated to 1827, which became to be a
cathedral in 1850). It was designed by Eusebio Rodriguez. It`s destinguished by
small corrugated dome, cased windows and corinthian columnes. Its interior has
pattern, tiled floor and plenty of reliefs. A chapel placed on the north side of
the cathedral has the biggest number of pictures, but is almost always closed.
Lately, the cathedral was put to the detailed renovation works, during which all
destructions made after the earthquake were repaired. In 1983 the cathedral was visited by Pope Juan Pablo II.
That event is commemorated by marble plate. In the underground are burnt two
first arsbishops: Llorent and Bernardo A. Thiel, and former president Tomas
Guardia. In the south side, there is a XVIII-century Archbishop
Palace. In the cathedral garden there is the statue of bishop Bernardo A. Thiel.
[Av.Central-1/calle 6-8]. That was established in 1881. It`s brick hall with short, sheet metal, two-sided roof. The entrances are placed on the its cut corners. It`s devided by specialities. There
are boxes and stalls dotted with bunches of flowers, vines, roots, spices and
herbs. Fishes are sold along Av. 1, leather products near calle 6 and Av. Central. And near calle 8 small gloceries, coffee roasters and jewellery galeries can be found. Some of the cheapest meal in town are served there.
Church of Dolorosa
[Av.10-12/calle Central]. It`s one-naved copy of San Juan cathedral in Puerto Rico. It was made in neobaroque style. It`s destinguished with arched arcades devided each other by doubled columns. On the frontons on the sides of dome there are statuettes of angels. It is adorned by balusters and is destinguished also by the clock put under the dome.
Church of El Carmen
[Av. Central/calle 3]. It`s one nave church that has short, two-sided roof and three big arched entrances, separated from each other by huge doubled pilasters. It doesn`t have the significal front-wall. It has a protuberant mould and ornate fronton. It`s grayish-white. The first church in that place was built in 1841. In 1860`s, when in Costa Rica was a cholera epidemy, and people promised to themselves that if it will pass away, they will carry the statuette of Black Christ. It was ordered in Guatemala, is made of mahogany and is put on the altar. In the last sunday of August it is carried in parade.
Church of El Merced
[Av. 2-4/calle 12]. It`s built in Gothic style with neoclassical elements. The oldest church in San Jose. It was designed by Lesmes Jimenez Bonnefil. It`s destinguished by sculpted wooden ceiling, slender spires and arched windows. It`s faced by high, ornate, concrete wall. The main entrance is a part of a high tower topped by the pointed arch dome. It`s fronted by Braulio Carillo Park. In 2002 the Ministry of Culture gave 360 mln colones for the renovation of its norhtern nave.
Church of La Soledad
[Av.4/calle 9]. It`s an ecletic structure with two simetrical towers
flanking a central atrium dated to 1909. In the niches of both towers are put the statuettes. In the center part of fasade there are two columns and the steps that lead to the interior. It`s destinguished by stain
glasses brought from Switzerland. Its bells and organs date to the beginning of
the century. It`s fronted by a tiny square with Guanacaste tree and a bust of Carlos Guardia. There the concerts are performed. The high ceiling is propitious
to good acoustics.
Church of Santa Teresita
[Av. 9/calle 29]. It was built in 1930`s. One nave, white church situated on the corner of 23th street and 9th avenida.
Above the main entrance is hang the balcony supported on each corner by four columned structures. It`s accented with high quite narrow dome in back side. The fasade wall is devided by pilasters and stood out with rectangular windows topped by triangular tops. On the roof is put the figure of Santa Teresita.
[Av. Central-1/calle 5]. The most known cinema in San Jose. It was founded by a trademan Tomas Garcia in 1891. At the
beginning there performed the wandering groups. The popularity it gained after
the municipal theater was burned out (today`s Melico Salazar Theater) in 1960`s.
It`s designed for 185 viewers. Its name has to do with different artistic events
taking place on there (from circus through sorcerers shows to cinema). It has
nonchanged facade from the beginning. It`s specialized with showing vanguard
films. On every year there is held the Festival of Costa Rica films. In 1904 the Greco Company organized the first cinematographic projection on french Lumiere engine. In 1909 there was chosen a candidate for Republican Party Ricardo Jimenez. In 1930, there was shown the first ever in Costa Rica history movie "El Retorno" (that was brought by Don Amando).
Colegio de Senoritas
[Av.4-6/calle 3-5]. It`s one of the oldest school. That was built in 1886 (and was the most expensive building ever constructed in the country). It was designed by Lesmes Jimenez Bonnefil. There used to be the Nacional Registery. It`s placed on the Square of Guarantees Sociales, and covers almost the entire block. Different parts of building has 4-sided roofs. The front fasade along calle 5 is two storeyed and is devided into three parts: two sided and the central backed. It has rectangular, framed windows (in the centralpart arched-ones). It`s destinguished by protuberant top and inner-storey moulds. The central part is faced by small courtyard limited by iron fence.
El Pueblo - the shopping center
It is placed in Barrio Tournon (to the north from
the town centre), opened on 15 September of 1977. It was designed by Spaniard
Francisco Prospero after the example of old colonial spanish town with cobbled
streets, wrought-iron lamps and historic low houses with red tiled roofs and
balconies full of flowers. There are a lot of bars, restaurances and
discotegues. It`s full of people especially in weekend evenings.
Embassy of Mexico
[Av. 3/calle 15-17]. 2 storey building with protuberant mould and attic. It has ornate portal with protruding terrace. Its rectangular windows are devided for tens of glasses. In 1948 the pact ending the national war was signed in this building.
Factory of Liquor
[Av. 5-7/calle 11]. It`s situated next to the Park of Spain. It used to be the
National Factory of Liquor untill the early 1980`s, and since 1994 has been housing the Ministry of Culture, Youth and
Sport. The main building was built in 1856. It`s one-storey on rectangular base along the street. It has short, two-sided roof, arched windows, ornated stone gate and iron grating with four pilasters on which is put the triangular fronton with the clock inside. There is also the National Centre of
Culture (CENAC) with Gallery of Contemporary Arts and gallery room of Premio Magon winners. The complex comprises also of two
theaters, three art galleries, library and live cultural activities. On the west
side of building is old sun clock. There is also a machinery and equipment
operating as it used to.
Hospital of San Juan de Dios
[Paseo Colon-Av.6/calle 14-20].
On the surface of few blocks spread the massive structures of hospital San Juan de Dios and
The Children Hospital (1969) (at the second one, at Christmas time the Children's has a
massive illuminated tree). The San Juan de Dios is 2 or 3-storey long building spreaded along the streets. It was established in 1845.
Hotel del Rey
[Av. 1/calle9]. Neoclassical structure located near Francisco
Morazan Park. It dates to 1940`s and is painted in pink and
white. It`s 5-storeyed building with flat roof, light rysalites with arched windows and 104 rooms inside. Between fourth and fifth floor it stands out with a tarrace surrounded by adorn baluster. The hotel is considered to be a National Heritage Treasure. In 1994 it was under the restoration.
It overlooks Square of Culture and Square of Juan Rafael Mora. It`s one of the
most known hotels in Costa Rica. Was built in 1930 as the first first class hotel in Costa Rica. There was designed two luxury apartments suitable for diplomats. (There stayed John F. Kennedy and Jimmy Carter). It`s three-fasaded on rectangular-base with four floors (the highest one separated by outstanding mould). Its roof is short and two-sided. Its fasade stands out for balconies-dummies. In the arcaded first-ground funciones the Paris Restaurant with terrace from which one can observe the street life. On January 2005 it got the title of architectural and historical heritage site.
Hotel La Aurora
[Av.5/calle 5-7]. Modern, the highest (17-storeyed) hotel in San Jose along the northern
edge of Francisco Morazan Park. It has a form of glassed, slender box that
stands on protuberant foundation. The fasade is devided into five vertical parts by the concrete frames. The few lower floors are enclosed by massive buttresses that hold the advanced moulds. It has the free earthquake protect system. It consists of 201 rooms and is ranked to have the highest put casino in the world (on 17th floor).
Hotel Santo Tomas
[Av. 7/calle 3-5]. It`s 100 % mahogany and is situated in Barrio Amon. It was built in 1910 by a coffee plantator family (Salazar). It`s one-storeyed building with veranda in the entrance. The roof is distinguished by loocarens. It has twenty high ceiling rooms, embellished with King Louis XV furniture.
It was to be bulldozed in the past in order to expand the Aurolas's Hotel parking lot.
Hotel Barcelo Amon Plaza
[Av.11/calle 3bis]. Large, 4-storeyed square base building in Barrio Amon. It dominates over calm residencial street and stands out with smooth plaster (without any adorness), large rectangular windows and many oriels topped by frontons. It has 90 rooms inside.
House of Jara
[Av.7/calle 5]. (Alianza Francesa). It was designed in 1895 in eclectical style by Jaro family.
The design was made by an architect Pirie. One storeyed building. It is in possession of 25-cm
thick walls and a metal porch brought from Belgium. Fasade has very large rectangular windows and veranda supported by six thin columnes.
From the 4-sided roof emerges the iron lookaren.
In the years 1939-1940, the off that time owner Jorge Lara Ireata remodelled that. In 1964 it was abandoned.
In 1988 it was declared the
national monument and in 1995 it was undergone a complete
restoration after buying that by French Cultural Agency.
House of Green
[Av. 9/calle 7]. (Casa Verde) It`s situated in Barrio Amon. It was
built around 1910 as a property of Don Carlos Saborio Yglesias (a wealthy owner of a cattle rancho). It`s two storeyed, clapboard building on which there are a few elegant
aparthaments (Celia Jr., Yglesias, Don Carlos Saborio). In 1994 that was
declared the best renovated building in the country.
House of Matute
[Av.10/calle 21]. It`s situated in Barrio Los Yoses. French-style building (formerly brick-red structure), built in 1930 for dr. Ricardo Moreno Canas by Francisco Jimenez. In 1938 it was purchased by a Venezuelan Matute Gomez, who was fleeing political persecution following the fall of his dictator brother in Venezuela. He lived there untill 1951. In 1990 his daughters sold the house and in 1994 it was completelly restored. Now it`s a buzzing night spot.
House of Yellow
[Av.7/calle 11]. (Casa Amarilla).
It`s situated to the east from Social Security Building, not far from Park of
Spain. In front of that a huge La Ceiba tree rises, and that was
planted in 1963 during Central America presidents Summit. The building used to
be a seat of Foreign Ministry and is painted in yellow. Its interior is also yellow. There are a lot of mirrors.
Furnitures and doors are made of dark wood. At the beginning it was placed in Cartago. (The building
was completed in December of 1907). It served as the site of the Central
American Court of Justice. But soon it was destroyed due to the earthquake, and
rebuilt in San Jose thanks to Andres H. Carnegic 100.000 $ donation. It was
completed in 1916 with the supervision of architect Henry D.
Wiffield. In years of 1966 and 1975 it undergone solid renovation. In
1976 that was declared the national monument. In 1990 the yellow addition was
stuck to that.
[Av. Central/calle 17].
The Moorish style building close to the Democracy Square.
It was built in 1912 by Andreoli & Indumi company, by order of presidencial candidate Maximo Fernandez. In 1914 he lost
and lent his home - known as the Blue Castle - to President ellect Alfredo
Gonzalez Flores. The building was a private residence between 1954 - 1989. Today
it houses the Legislative Assembly.
Liceo of Costa Rica
[Av.18/calle 9-11]. It served at the beginning as prison. Since 1887 it has been used as school (the second oldest high school in Costa Rica). The lessons have been organized in new building since 1903. On its background is placed the statue of former president Ricardo Jimenez Oreamuno. In 1981 registered as historical building.
[Av.5/calle 9]. One of three experimental buildings made of metal, that were
put in San Jose on the turn of centuries (1896). It has to do with catastrophic
earthquake from 1888. The metal constructions were to save the new buildings
from destruction. The process of building was under control of architect Charles
Thirion. The metal elements were fabricated by Herrerias De Aisseau company and
transported to Costa Rica from Amberes in Belgium. The first segments were
shipped to Limon in 1892.
At the beginning that was devided into two parts: school
for boys and school for girls. After big earthguake from 1910, there was an
hospital for wounded persons. It`s painted in different shades of yellow with pastel
moulds. The inside of the building could easely be the outer facade. Outside
is accented with a bust of Minerva symbolizing "goddess of
wisdom". During its building, around
were only fields dominated by moskitos. Now it houses a school of Buenaventura
Museum of Children
It`s situated at the north end of calle 4. It resembles a
castle building. It dates to 1848 and as resently as 1989 served as the prison for
4.000 men. Since 1994 the Museum of Children. It`s distinguished by two half-rounded towers-rysalites and outstanding attic. There are 34 rooms each with different theme. There are exhibits that include a planetarium and rooms dedicated to astronomy, planet earth, Costa Rica, ecology, science, human beings, and communications.
Museum of Jades
[Av.7/calle 9-11]. It is named in honour of the founder Marco Fidel
Tristan Castro, who initiated the purchase of the jade collection. It`s on the 11th
floor of the Institute for National Security, at Francisco Morazan Park. The
exhibit in this museum is the largest (7.000 items) American jade collection in the world.
There are shown also musical instruments, bows and arrows, an aerial photo of
the Guayabo Archeological Site and replica of 14th century Tang Dynasty ceramic
horse. Many exhibits come from a private collection of Carlos Balsen.
Museum of Atlantic Railway
[Av.3/calle 21]. It was opened on May 1993 and is in the former railway station building dated to 1907.
Contains a display of pictures and documents referred to famous "jungle train".
Outside there is a steam engine that was brought in 1939 from
Museum of Indigenous Art
It`s situated in Los Yoses quarter. There is the collection of pre-Columbian jewelry, art, ceramics, and artifacts. There are also pitch-gold, emeralds, and semi-precious stones for sale.
Museum of Criminology
[Av.6-8/calle 21]. It is situated in the building of Supreme Court. There are exhibitions of weapons,
tools of crimes, counterfeit lottery tickets and money, drug paraphernalia, also
illegaly aborded fetus and black-white pictures featuring for example quartered
bodies. That was established in 1981.
Museum of Costa Rican Art
[Calle 42}. It was established in 1977. It is in former building of
airport terminal in La Sabana Municipal Park. There are presented art and
paintings from XIX and XX century. On the first ground there is an exhibition of
French artist Louis Ferron, featuring the history of Costa Rica. In front of the museum there is the Park of Centenary where are put the monument of Juan Carlos I and Leon Cortes.
[Av.Central-2/calle 15-17]. It is situated on the Square of Democracy. The building`s origin dates back to
1916. Till 1949 that was called Fort Bellavista, and housed the government
barracks. Now there is so called the golden room, that was sponsored by banana
company of United Fruit. The inner gardened courtyard is devoted for exhibitions of
precolumbian objects, historical dresses, colonial furnituries, presidencial
portraits and mastadon tooth. There are shown matates (Chorotegas Indian stone
tables for corn crushing). The documents of granting in 1987 the Peace Nobel
Prize for president Oscar Arias Sanchez are placed there as well. The court of museum is also opened for public. There are a
few cannons and big rounded balls dug out in south-east part of the
Museum of Natural Science
Opened in 1959, it`s located near the south-west corner of
La Sabana Metropolitan Park, at Colegio La Salle. There are featured stuffed
animals, whale skeleton and various bottles containing sea urchins, octopi,
human fetuses and bats. There is also an Indian archeology display. On the island on the foyer lives a crocodile.
Museum of Contemporary Art
[Av.5-7/calle 11]. It`s situated in former National Liquor Factory. There are four rooms housing international and national paintings, sculptures and industry art
Museum of Rafael Angel Calderon Guardia
[Av.11/calle 25]. It is placed in Barrio Escalante. It was established in 1991. Is housed in an adobe building dated to 1912. Inside are featured the items related with life and achievements of ex-president Rafael Calderon Guardia [1940-1944]. In the years of 1985 - 1994 the building underwent the complete renovation.
Museum of Numismatic
[Av.Central/calle 5]. Named after Jai,e Solara Benett. It`s situated in the underground of Plaza de la Cultura, in the long narrow room with thick vault doors. It provides a survey of the money and coins of Costa Rica and an explanation of how the money developed. It includs the exhibitions of 1000-colones dating to 1969 and examples of the country`s colourful paper money, first issued in 1864.
Museum of Gold
[Av.Central/calle 5]. Named after Alvaro Vargas Echeveria. It`s situated in the underground of Plaza de la Cultura. It
was built by the Costa Rica`s Central Bank in 1982. It encompasses the second
largest collection in America of precolumbian pieces of gold (over 1.600 pieces
at all weighing in at 24.000 troy ounces). The exhibits of figures of frogs,
jaguars, sharks, snakes, lobsters are hung on thin lines and give the impression
of soaring in the air. There are tons of birds of prey and crocodiles figures
(the last ones carry the pathetic dangling legs of humans). Costa Rica Indians,
1000 years before Columb arriving were the most advanced in producing the goods
Museum of Printing
It`s situated in Barrio Uruca and was founded in 1985. There are the collections of printing presses, type setting machines, type-faces and other related objects representing the history of printing in Costa Rica during the last 150 years.
One of the most known monuments in San Jose. It`s placed in
National Park, in the eastern part of town, between 15 and 19 streets and 1 and
3 avenidas. It was made in Paris at the end of XIX century. It symbolizes of
brave attitude of Central America, especially Costa Rica in fight against
american filibustier William Walker, who wanted in 1856 to take over the entire
region. The monument`s building in Paris in the middle of last century was
ordered by Costa Rica representative for french sculptor Louis Carrier Bellouse.
He made a bronze pedestal on which put seven figures. Five of them symbolize
Central American republics, and two others of William Walker and one of his dead
soldiers. Costa Rica stands straight in the middle, one hand holds the flag and
shows the way for free, and the second hand support wound Nicaragua. The latter
one with broken sword, as a agony sign, has a veil on her head. Guatemala holds
the axe, El Salwador the sword and Honduras the arch and shield.
On the pedestal there are four reliefs depicting: scenes
from Santa Rosa battle, fights in Rivas, the seizing of boats in the San Juan
river and human shape of off that time president Juan Rafael Mora
Porras. The monument sculpturing was ended up in 1891, and it was
brought to Costa Rica a year kater. The solemn unveiling of a monument was on
September 15th of 1892. In the ceremony took place different representatives of
neighbouring countries. Next to that is situated The Numismatic Museum.
Park Braulio Carillo
[Av.2-4/calle 12-14]. (Park Merced, Park Nicaragua). It`s situated in front of La Merced church. Has 1,3 metre
precolombian stone sphere, the statue of former president Braulio Carillo and
Gothic arch-shaped fountain. There is also a monument honoring the astronomer Copernicus. It`s covered by high palms and agavas. In the southern edge of park there is a factory of beer and in the western one - the hospital of San Juan de Dios.
[Av. 2-4/calle Central-2]. (Square of Tomas Guardia).
It`s shaded by exotic trees (among others one Guanacaste) and has an ornate fountain, concrete benches and
spider-like kiosko (something like a stage), where on every sunday concerts are
held. The donator of that structure was former Nicaragua dictator Anastasio
Somoza. A few years back in a referendum, inhabitants of San Jose decided about
not pulling down it. Beneath the kiosko there is a Carmen Lyra Children`s Library and has been put since 2004 an ornate flagpole and statue of a man with broom (made by Edgar Zuniga). At the northern park edge at across the street there is a
Melico Salazar Theater, and old famous in Costa Rica Soda Palace
(resaturation). In 1842 in one of its corner was shot in execution Francisco Morazan.
Disney-style amusement park in La Uruca quarter with bumper cars, go-karts and roller coasters. It was created in 1981 with the suggestion of doctor Roberto Ortiz. There are
replicas of the National Liquor Factory, Congressional Building, churches and
Costa Rican Banc. It has three sections: capital city, coast, and country (the
last one with original adobe structures moved to there). On December 2004 a big La Torre (a kind of adventurous machine) was imported from Italy. It is planned to be remodelled for the New Years events celebrations. Most of the profits from this park are donated for Hospital de los Ninos (originally it was to be a fun park for its patients).
It`s situated in the outskirts of San Jose, three kilometres east of San Pedro quarter. It was created by Oscar Arias as a recreational center. There are children play houses, basket ball courts, volleyball nets, barbecue pits and benches. Within that (in the eastern edge) there is the rondo of I Griega.
Park Francisco Morazan
[Av.3-5/calle 5-9]. It was designed in 1887. It`s devided into four plots. In the middle stands the neoclassic
kiosko that serves as the band-shell. In its north-west side rise tabebuia
trees [Tabebuia resea], that bloom in dry season. To the southern part are stuck two historical
houses. In north-east corner, in front of the metal building, there is a
fountain. The park is overshaded by La Aurora Hotel (the highest hotel in
town). It`s scattered by the statues and busts (Bernardo Soto Alfaro, Bernardo O`Higgins).
It`s surrounded by the long concrete benches that serve as the fence with iron, ornate gates. In 1998 a 3,5 metres of height bronze statue of Costa Rica
president from 1974 - 1978 Daniel Oduber Quiros was erected. That way his participation in
social country development was commemorated. The monument was made by Costa Rica
artist Olger Villegas.
Park Jose Maria Canas
[Av. 18-20/calle2-4]. It was founded in 1956 roku. In its eastern part there is a high, futuristic obelisk devoted to firemen. There is also a bust of ex-president Jose Maria Canas and also a plate devoted for the events of 1856. It stands out with metal benches with seats made of thick metal pipes, fountain and short trees. There is more concrete than grass surface.
Park La Paz
53-ha park in southern parts of town. It was created by
president Oscar Arias as a sport-recreation centre. It consists of football
field, volleyball and basketball fields, 5 kilometres of bicycle routes and an
artificial lake. Lately was put the monument dedicated to the destruction of arms confiscated on the borders on trials of smuggling them through Costa Rica. It was sculptured by Mario Parra. In administration building complex take place a lot of courses.
Among them stands so called The Artist Building, where amateur painters show
their works. On weekends, in parks many concerts or political lectures can take
place. On January 2005, on one of the hills was inaugurated paid chute on cardboard for children.
Park La Sabana
[Av.America/calle 42]. The nation largest urban park in the western San Jose. It`s
situated on the place of former (1958) international airport. It has olimpic size
swimming-pool, bicycles trails, football, tennis and golf fields. There is also
the artificial lake and national football stadium. It`s covered among others by
eucaliptuses. Within that in former terminal building there is a
National Museum of Costa Rica Art.
[Av.1-3/calle 15-19]. (Park de la Estacion). Large, forested park between Avenidas 1 & 3, and Calles
15 and 19. It was designed in 1895 and in the same year in its central part was put the National Monument
commemorating the succesful fight against american filibustier William Walker in
1856. At the southwest corner is a statue of national hero Juan
Santamaria. Besides there are a lot of statues of people involved in the independence of the country (Denis Mora, Aliberto Marten Chavarril, Miguel Idalgo, Don Andres Bello). It`s dominated by high trees on which parakeest abounds. To
the south from park there is situated the red building of National Registry and
the Electoral Tribunal. On the western side of the park there is the national
[Av.3-7/calle 9-11]. (Park of Expression). Shady, little park accentuated by the
transplanted from around the country tropical trees. There the monument of
conquistador and a large fountain are destinguished. There are the tableaus devoted for Manuel Gonzalez Zeledon from 1964, Aquileo J. Echeveria (1966), for the memory of the members of balet of Dona Caralia de Romero who have been killed in catastrophe in Choluteca (Honduras) in 1969. In the western part there is also a big tebleau from 1978 about the first singing of national hymn at that place by children in 1903. In its south-western corner
there is a former liquor factory that in 1994 was converted into the National
Centre of Culture. At the western side of the park there is so called Metal
Building. To the North is the Institute for National Insurance building. In the
northeast corner is placed colonial-style tiled tiny chapel with 4 ornated
reliefs on each side. In 1994 it was renovated with the help of the Spanish Embassy.
[Av.1-3/calle 2]. Two-leveled, rectangular-based building.
It was designed in 1917 by Luis Llach. It has the arched windows of ground floor and is topped by triangles in the first floor. It`s distinguished by three gated entrance, massive fronton and attic. On the first floor there is established in
1985 the Museum of Stamps with historic telegraphs and telephones (there is
presented among others Penny Black - the oldest Costa Rica stamp dated back to
1863). In 1980 the building was declared the national monument. Opposite the
post office is a small park shaded by massive fig trees.
[Av.1/calle 9-11]. There
are presented different species of reptiles and amphibians, among others snake
terciopelo (responsible for the half of snakes bites in Costa Rica), Jesus
Christ Basiliscues, Iguanas, Boa constrictors, seas snakes, poisnous dart frogs
and being egsotic in Costa Rica cobras and pythones. There is a also a large fish-pool with piranhas.
Spirogyra-the butterfly garden
It`s situated close to the El Pueblo shopping centre. It
sticks to the northern edge of Simon Bolivar Zoo. The entrance for that is
situated in Barrio Tournon. Its name in latin means "the butterfly". The garden
consists of small waterfalls surrounded by orchids and heliconias. It`s covered
by net that make it impossible for butterflies to escape. There live blue Morpho
butterflies, transparent Espejitos and red, green, yellow and black Heliconius.
There are the total number of 21 species. Besides there are also colorful
humminbirds. On every morning workers pick the butterflies eggs and put
them in special boxes devoted for the european collectors.
Square of Quinto Centenario
[Av.Americana/ calle 42]. Named after 500 centenary of discovering America. It`s placed at the edge of La Sabana Municipal Park, in front of the Museum of Costa Rican Arts. There are placed the monuments of Juan Carlos I (made in 1991) and Leon Cortes Castro (1951). It`s paved and there are few bunches cut into the shape of balls. In November of 2001 there starts the parade of oxcart drivers, full of Saint figures.
Square of Culture
[Av.Central-2/calle 3-5]. The heart of town. Around are situated the restaurances and bars. It`s often
visited by pigeons that are feeded by resting on benches tourists and locals as
well. It is also a favored performance spot for local marimba
bands, clowns, jugglers, and colorfully dressed South Americans playing Andean
music. In the southern part dominates the Nacional Theater. At the western side,
across the street there is famous Gran Hotel with 24 hours Paris
Square of Democracy
[Av.Central-2/calle 13-15]. It`s located between avenidas Central and Second and the
streets 13th and 15th. It`s concrete square with slopes gently up toward the
National Museum building. It was ordered by Oscar Arias president in 1989. On
the west is a bronze statue of Don Figueres, completed in 1994. It was to be for
commemoration of 100 years of democracy in Costa Rica. At its western side there
are a lot of market stalls, where T-shirts and other art souvenirs from Costa
Rica, Guatemala and Peru are sold.
Square of Gonzalez Viquez
[Av.18-22/calle 11-13]. A large surface. It was designed in 1925. Partly devoted for a playground fo children. In 2002 renovated. The trees and stone benches have been added. There is the gigantic size monument of ex-president [1906-1910, 1928-1932] Cleto Gonzalez Viquez.
Square of Guarantees Sociales
[Av.4-6/calle 5-7]. It covers entirely block. It is covered by pavement with steps, small grasses and bushes. Next to there is situated Ministry of Tourism and College of Senoritas. There is a monument of ex-president [1940-1944] Rafael Angel Calderon Guardia.
Square of Libertad
[Av.13/calle 7-9]. It was designed in 1994. There are six high columned structure in crescent shape linked together by the protuberant mould. There stands the new electoral Tribunal building. It features a chunk of the Berlin Wall donated by the German Government. There is also a plaque that commemorates the date when the wall came tumbling down.
Square of Juan Mora Fernandez
[Av.2/calle 3]. It was named after the first chief of state of Costa Rica (1823 - 1829). It`s placed in front of the National Theater and next to Hotel Gran. In the western part it`s limited by the arcade, long, roofed passage that lead to the Hotel Gran. In June 1995
that was reinaugurated after renovation. There is the monument of Juan Mora Fernandez (he hold a sword and have a coat slung over left hand). It stands out with the benches that consists of fat, iron pipes stuck together by clamps.
San Jose is laid out on a grid: avenidas (avenues) run east
and west; calles (streets), north and south. Avenidas north of the Avenida
Central have odd numbers, and those to the south have even ones. On the western
end of the city, Avenida Central becomes Paseo Colón; on the eastern end, it's
an equally busy, though nameless, four-lane boulevard. Calles to the east of
Calle Central have odd numbers; those to the west are even.
Temple of Music
It`s situated in Francisco Morazan Park. It`s a imitation
of The Temple of Love in Versal. That was designed by Francisco Salazar in the
place of old, wooden chapel. It come into use on 24th of december of 1920. That
was the first building in Costa Rica, that dome was reinforcemented by
Previously that served as the place of meeting for lovers.
But later that became a place where concerts and political lectures were held.
In 1975 that was expected to be destroyed and instead of that was to be erected
the monument of Argentinian singer of Carlos Gardela. Luckily, in the same year
the temple was declared the national monument. In 1980 that undergone the solid
[Av.2-4/calle 6]. It`s a corner, two-storeyed pink-creame building. It has rectangular windows (largest on the first ground and tiny on upper one). It`s devided by pilasters and is topped by simple attic (some windows of upper ground are devided by large inscriptions). The main arch-entrance is put on calle 6. Along that is also the larger part of building which has same-size windows and is topped by triangular fronton.
Tenement-house of Arab
[Av.5/calle 7]. It was designed in 1950`s. In 1970`s was added spined ornaments. It stands out with sharp-arched gates and blind doors plus very narrow windows. It`s rectangular-based, one storeyed building. The roof is hided behind attic with corner spines and by triangular fronton.
Tenement-house of Bishop
[Av. 13/calle 3]. It`s built in 1930 in ornamental Moorish style by spanish man Anastasio Herrero. The majority of building materials were brought from Italy and Spain. It`s distinguished by small turrets. It`s decorated with rows of keyhole windows and plaster crenellations. It has strips of hand-painted tails that border the dome. The first owner was Senor Anastasio Herrero. Later was bought by Dona Luz Quiros de Rodriguez, mother of archbishop Carlos Humberto Rodriguez. In 2002 the court granted the house for a grandson of one of bishop`s sisters - Jorge Ignacio Guier Acosta.
Tenement-house of Granary
[Av.7/calle 15]. It was designed by Francisco Jimenez de la Guardia around 1920. There is placed an Office for Propagation the French Culture. It`s massive, rectangular-based building. It`s two-storeyed, cut by numerous pilasters building with two-sided roof. Its right side is sunk into the climbing street.
Tenement-house of Herdocia
[Av.3/calle 2]. It`s placed next to the main building. It is four storeyed, corner building with short roof. It dates to the beginning of XX century. It is stood out with 4-sided, corner rysalite with adorned balustered attic on its roof. Floors are devided each other by protuberant moulds. Large, elongated windows are separated by pilasters. On the first floor is run Mc Donald`s restaurance.
Tenement-house of Honey-cake
[Av.1/calle 5]. Cornered, small, two-storeyed building in baroque style, accented by corner tower topped by concrete dome with loocarens. The windows of first floor have the distinct entablature. It`s distinguished by small iron balconies. The fasade is adorned also by pilaster that imitate the Ionic columns and arched windows. (The ornaments resemble the icing on honey-cake). In 2000 the inside of the building was a little destroyed by fire. Now there is the store with luxure glass things.
Tenement-house of Knorr
[Av. Central/calle 1-3]. It`s one storey building, accented by ornated triangular (or half-rounded on the other wall) fronton. The fasade is cut by large pilasters, topped by Ionic order. They separate large rectangular windows or the blade-shaped structures. It was funded by Juan Knorr in 1914. (It`s written with big ornated letters on its wall). Inside there are music shop, bakery and drugstore.
Tenement-house of KLM
[Av.1-3/calle 5]. It was built in 1924. It`s placed next to the Honey-cake tenement-house. It`s backed from the street and separated from it by concrete fence with iron spans. In front of that is quite big concrete courtyard. It`s two-storeyed building of irregular shape. It`s destinguished by large, ornated top moulds, atticks and buttresses. The most sumptuous is a middle part with delicate compositions in plaster beneath and above window of the first floor.
Tenement-house of La Casona
[Av.Central-1/calle Central]. It was built in 1908. Two storey building. It stands out with arched niches running through entire fasade. In each of them are placed very wide windows and iron ornate tiny balconies. The mould is accented by gigantic keys with mascarones. The entire fasade is rusticated. Primary it was a shop with iron-wires Macaya. Now there is the biggest shop with souvenirs in Costa Rica.
Tenement-house of Las Acacias
[Av. 1 bis/calle 7-9]. It used to belong to family of Max Guardian Rojas. It was built at the beginning of XX century in Victorian style. It`s one-storey building with lookarens in attic. It is destinguished with wooden walls with trimmings made of sheet zinc and with stained-glass windows in fasade. In years 1994 - 1995 there was plan to convert that into Casa de la Cultura. Since 2000 has been registered on the list of historical buildings. Lately has been bought by owners of nearby Hotel del Rey.
Tenement-house of Ortiz
[Av.7/calle 13]. It is rectangle-base three-floor building (next to the Yellow Building). It was built in 1944 by Teodorico Quiros. At the beginning on its place stood famous Victoria Mill. Then the terrain was bought by ex-president Rafael Yglesias. In 1938 the new owner ing. Francisco Jimenez Ortiz planned firstly opening the ceramic factory. It`s distinguished by large, cut corner with adornate attic, half-rounded oriel on which is put the balcony and by corrugated columns. Lately it was a set for the Costa Rican movie "Password".
Tenement-house of Solera
[Av.11/calle 8-10]. Barrio Mexico. It was built in 1890 on triangular base. Two of its sides create the fasade along two forked streets. It is two storey building with protuberant, thin mould (roof) between them. The first storey seems to be very high because of very narrow rectangular windows and pilasters. Its primary owner was Otto Solera Valverde. Untill 1940 it served as drug-store. Now there is the upholsterer shop. In 1999 was registered to the list of historic buildings.
Tenement-house of Steinvorth
[Av. Central-Primera/calle1]. At the beginning there was a furniture store "Urgelles y Penon". Now it houses offices and discoteque. Its name derives from the last name of German industrial-man - Heinrich Dietrich Steinvorth. There was carried on the action of telenovela Password.
Theater Melico Salazar
[Av.2/calle Central]. One of two the most known theaters in Costa Rica. It is placed in front of the Central Park. It was
built in 1799 and served at the beginning as the municipal tenement-house. On
that time the park on which it stood was called Plaza Real. In 1828 it was
destroyed by earthguake and rebuilt from stone elements.
During terms of Juan Rafael Mora, it was converted into his
main office. In 1849 Mora moved there his new army. There were the ammunition,
cannons and guns. The traces of that were being finding many years after that.
(One time, the cannons hiden beneath the floor have been found in one of the
On July 18th of 1918, the building again changed its
functions and became the school for boys. In 1924 the earthquake seriously
damaged its construction, and the school became empty. A few years later after
romoving the ruins, the new owner of that surface was Jose Raventos. He wanted
to build the theater, that could rival with National Theater. The new building
was designed by Costa Rica architect. On putting up the building (7.X.1928) with
2250 seats, was called the Raventos Theater. The first operetta that was played
was titled "Kiss me", and the title role belonged to Esperanza Iris. In
subsiguent years the first silent films started to be produced. The good luck
for theater ended in 1967, when during stage adaptation of "Dracula", the fire
destroyed its interior.In 1970`s, the cultural
elite of San Jose bought and renovated it giving the name of "the Popular
Theater". The renovation ended up in 1976 and soon after that the quarrel about
its name started again. Some people wanted to call it just The Municipal
Theater. Others suggested to change it for Melico Salazar Theater (famous Costa
Rica tenor). The latter idea won and since 1980 it has been called that way.
During renovation, workers from spanish Museum of Art added the third floor, rebuilt the stage, the dais for orchestra, strengthen Corinthian columns,
balconies and completed many reliefs. The number of seats was reduced to 1000.
The velvet curtains have been brought from Spain. On 13 December of 1981, the
theater started to functione again, producing a performance called "the
Carmen". The theater season lasts from April to December.
[Av.2/calle 3-5]. It`s situated in the south-west corner of the Culture
Square. Its building was initiated at the end of XIX century by coffee barons,
who agreed for special tax from each coffee bag. It was because the world famous
prima donna Adelina Patti during her tournee through Central America, overlooked
Costa Rica due to the lack of proper place for performing. The building was
designed by architects from Italy, Spain and France. It was built from steel
frames protecting it against the earthquakes. Finally, the building was ended up
in 1897. In 1965 it was declared the national monument. In 1991 the renovation
of that was carried out.
It`s made of sandstone and is a scaled-down of Paris opera.
It`s accentuated by arched windows and columned facade (the columns are made
from marble brought from Italy). The entrance to the theater is flanked by
figures of Bethoven and Spanish dramatist Calderon de la Barca. Three other
figures symbolizing of Music, Art and Literature, are put on triangular top. The
whole is covered by domed roof. The interior is destinguished by sumptuous hall, marble
steps, golden and bronze finishes, tropical woods, crystallic chandeliars,
mirrors and picture. On the ceiling, there is a fresco featuring the banana
loading for boat, painted by Arturo Fontana. On the second level is a ceiling painting by Italian artists Aleandro Villa, entitled Alegoria. In the theater rooms, there is a cafe Ruisenor offering
coffee, sandwiches and cakes.
It`s situated in Barrio Otoya and is called after Simon Bolivar. It was founded in 1916 and is spreaded on 14 acre surface. Now there are the trials for its renovation. In the majority there are the native species, but there are also lion and Bengal tiger. In 2005 the Ministry of Environment took over management of ZOO.