|TOWNS: Liberia |
|(40.000). The capital of Guanacaste province on the river
with the same name. Placed 140 m.a.s.l. is surrounded by ranches. It was founded
in 1769. The municipal rights in 1836 as Pueblo Guanacaste. In 1848 it became the capital of entire province. In 1854 it changed the name for Liberia. Due to the volcanic tufas that covered the streets at XIX and the
beginning of XX centuries, it`s called "the white town". It`s a road junction.
|It was built under the name of Daniel Oduber (former president of Costa Rica). It`s called by inhabitants "the big plain". It has very modern structure and on one of its wall there is put the commemorating plate with expressing thanks for off that time president Jose Maria Figuerres Olsen (during his cadency the building of airport was finished). On the lawn in front of the structure is put one of the famous granite sphere.
Casa de la Cultura
|[Av.6/calle 1]. Wooden building dated from XIX century, at the main square
of town. It houses Tourist Information Centre and the Cowboys Museum.
Church of Jesus Hearth
|[Av.Central/calle Central-2]. It`s a modern, concrete structure placed at the Central Square. It consists of three rectangular parts, from which the biggest one is served as the main entrance. It`s distinguished also by a separated high tower with concrete cross.
Church La Agonia
|[Av.Central/calle 9]. Adobe structure built in 1852 (one of the oldest catholic
church in the country), that replaced 1769 chapel. It`s situated on old square
in the eastern quarter of town. That was built on place of chapel from 1769.
It`s distinguished by protuberant rafters and heavy wooden door. There is the
Museum of Religious Sculptures. Around there is forested park.
|[Av.Central/calle Central]. It`s placed in the south-east corner of Central Park. It was built in 1850 by one rich man from Rivas. Since 1983 it has been the national monument. It has high foundations and low 4-sided roof which is supported by columns stuck to the concrete balustrade. It consists of adobe walls. In 1940`s it lost many of its wooden elements. It`s the first place where the himn of Annexion Guanacaste by Costa Rica has been heard (Luna Liberiana).
Hospital Enrique Baltodano Briceno
|It`s on north-west corner of town. It has the name of Enrique
Baltodano Briceno (local famous doctor). In April of 2000 it was known because there was
saved one Canadian tourist who has fallen for three days into the crater of
Rincon de la Vieja volcano.
Hotel Ciudad Blanca
|[Av.4/calle 1-3]. It`s old wooden house with fleur de lys grill work and colonial tile floor.
|Liberia is destinquished by historical buildings made of
adobe bricks. The majority of them is situated along the Central Street. Some of
them have fresh restored fasades. They all have so called "the doors for sun",
that were designed at the northern corners of buildings, and make that on the
mornings and afternoons the sun rays fall into the dark interiors. They have big
rooms ornated with painted high ceilings and XIX-century murals. The kitchens to
the rear of the houses are opened onto courtyards.
Intersection of four gas-stations
|Its intersection linking Panamerican Highway with the main Liberia Avenida Central. Its name comes from the four different gas-stations that are put in every its corner.
Monument of Cowboys
|It stands on the green "island" in the middle of Avenida Central, close to the entrance to the town from the Interamerican Highway (in front of the Court Building). It`s a life-style structure made of bronze and features a cowboy with raised right hand.
Museum of Cowboys
|[Av.6/calle 1]. It stands at Central Avenida, to the west of Central. It`s situated in wooden Casa de la Cultura building from
XIX century, at the main square of town. The museum showcases all sorts of
memorablias from old photographs to chaps and branding irons, and gives an
insight into what life was like on the haciendas in times gone by.
|[Av.1-3/calle 2-4]. (Commandancia). It`s placed in three rooms of Police Station. There is presented the part of large collection of artefacts dating from 500 BC to 1.500 AD which was donated by Daniel Oduber. It`s planned to convert the entire police station into museum. In front of the building are put some granite spheres and granite sculptures.
|[Av.Central-1/calle Central-2]. It`s properly called Parque Mario Canas Ruiz (there is a statue of him). It`s put
between avenidas Central and First and the Streets Central and Second. It`s
dominated by modern church of Heart of Jesus invocation and 8-columned domed kiosko. It`s ringed by tall
palms and is dotted with colorful benches.
Park Hector Zuniga
|[Av.Central-1/calle 9-11]. It was designed next to the church La Agonia. There is a bust and plate devoted to Hector Zuniga and Rodolfo Salazar Solorzano (a poet). In 2001 there took place a part of ceremony of local Art. Festival.
Park Rodolfo Salazar
|[Av.1-3/calle 6-8]. It is devoted to a poet Rodolfo Salazar Solorz. There is a monument and plate commemorating him.
|[Av.1-3/calle 2-4]. (Commandancia). In front of that there are few granite balls and sculptures. It was built in 1936 as a prison. It replaced the similar structure of the same function, where in 1852 was closed (on time of creating the music for national anthem) the composer Manuel Gutierrez. It was designed by Jose Maria Barrantes. It was supervised by ing. Max Effinger. It is very massive building with protuberant crenelage. It is almost in lack of windows. It destinguished by corner towers with triple butresses. Now it houses the police station. In part of its rooms there is the Regional Museum.
School of Ascencion Esquivel
|It was named for the former president of Costa Rica. There used to be tought local famous doctor Enrique Baltodano Briceno.
Square of Los Angeles
|[Av.5-7/calle 6-8]. In the most part it is sandy with small patches of grass. There is a soccer field.