REPUBLIC OF COSTA RICA


.
.
.
GUEST BOOK


San Jose
Cartago
Alajuela
Puntarenas
Limon
Heredia
Liberia



 
TOWNS: Heredia

(74.000). It`s situated in Meseta Central, 11 kilometres off San Jose, on the elevation of 1.150 metres a.s. It was established in 1755 and decisively the Supreme Court of Guatemala Audience confirmed that on July 1st of 1765. According to some people Heredia was first setting in 1706, when a small chapel was founded in the vicinity. In 1717 that was moved to now quarter of Heredia Cubujugui. It`s called "the town of flowers". There is a conviction that it`s inhabited by the largest population of blue-eyed people in the country. The countryside surrounding Heredia is almost completely dedicated to growing coffee.

Casa de la Cultura
[Av.Central/calle Central]. The building was erected around 1790. (It was bought by the off that time wealthest man in the country - a trader Pedro Antonio Solares y Berros). Later it was inhabited by his father, and until 1962 by his brother - the future president Alfaro Gonzalez Flores. It`s built of bricks on rectangular base. It`s distinguished by high foundations with ornated "safety razors" motifs. In the fasade and the front walls stands out the veranda with wooden piles and ornate baluster. The building is topped by low "tented" roof. Inside local art including sculpture and painting is displayed.

Cathedral of Immaculate Concepcion
[Av.Central-2/calle Central]. That was built in 1797 - 1806 in Romanesque style. It`s situated on the Central Square. It`s built on the rectangle location. It has 76 metres of length, 19 metres of width and 8 metres of height. Its thick and squad walls saved the whole construction against destructive earthquakes. (That`s the reason why its style is described sometimes as a seismic baroque). It`s built of stones stuck together by mortar from sand, mud and whites of the eggs.

It has three naved interior, devided by column rows. The Madonna figure with neon`s aureole is destinguished. Its fasade is devided into three entrances, and it`s flanked by two 15-metres high side towers. They are devided into three parts separated each other by moulds and are topped by 8-sided domes. The northern one is a clock tower and the south one serve as a bell tower (bells are imported from Cusco, Peru). In 1963 the catedral was declared the national monument.


Church of El Carmen
[Av.4-6/calle 3]. One naved wiht two-sided roof. In fasade the ornaed fronton is supported by 4 light columns. Here are 3 high arched entrances. In the corners of fasade are featured the figures of Saints. From the roof emerges high, baroque clock tower with concrete dome. The windows of side walls are separated by pilasters.

Church Los Angeles
[Av.8/calle 6-8]. One naved church built in 1960. Above the main entrance the high, square clock tower with futuristic top. The church stands out with half-rounded roof and arched windows in the side walls. On the gate there is the commemorative plate devoted for Rafael Vargas.

Church San Francisco
It`s situated in San Francisco quarter, in the western part of town next to the road from San Joaguin. It has separated sided tower. The main construction stands out for arched niches and arcades in side walls, shell-like fronton and twosided roof supported by large stone buttresses.

Court building
Concrete structure devided by large pilasters (running up through the entire height of building). It`s accented by very large concrete bars that cover the windows. The main entrance is glassed and above is put massive, concrete wykusche.

El Fortin tower
[Av.Central/calle Central]. It`s situated in the northern quarter of Heredia. It`s surrounded by brushes and iron fences. It`s from brick and remaining of municipal fortifications. It`s a national monument. It was designed by Fadrigue Guttierez. It`s devided into three parts separated by moulds. The first one is four-sided cylinder, the second one rounded with noregular window holes. The third one is eight-sided with the four-leaved clover-like clearances. Probably that building was never completed (there is a lack of considerable final). Architects reproached that with constructional errors such like wrong-way peep holes, opened wider to the outside and narrow down to a flat slit on the inside, that make easy for enemies balls to falling. There is also conviction that was erected by order of dictator Thomas Guardia.

House of Nicolas Ulloa
[Av.Central/calle Central-2]. It is placed to the right of Casa de la Cultura. It was built in 1843 by Nicolas Ulloa. After 1864 it was bought by Domingo Gonzalez and donated to his daughters. In the years 1916-1938 there was a school of Ulloa. Then served as cafe. It is one storey adobe building. It stands out with ornate shutters. The main entrance is proceded by two-sided steps. In 1979 was registered as historical building.

Houses
A few historic adobe building are placed around the Central Park, especially at the western part. They are usually one-storeyed with two sided roofs and considerable atticks in the shapes of fences.

Liceo of Heredia
[Av.Central/calle 1]. It`s two-storey building with rysalite central part of fasade that is slightly advanced and accented by three high gates. It`s placed at Avenida Central, in the vicinity of Cathedral. It was built in 1882. It`s distinguished by protuberant foundations and fasade cut by pilasters. The windows of both storeys are topped by ornate designs. The building is topped by slightly advanced mould. In 1977 it was declared a national monument.

Mercado Central
[Av.6-8/calle 2-4]. It started to being constructed in 1886 for 125.000 pesos as a model copy of Cartago one. The works were supervised by Joaguin Lizano. After many dalays it was finally completed in June 1889. In 1924 the second floor was demolished by the earthquake. In 1978 its interior suffered some damages due to fire.

National University
[Av.2-3/calle 9]. It`s situated in the eastern quarter of town. That was established in 1973. Within that a Marine Zoological Museum functiones (which exhibits over 200 examples of Costa Rica varied marine life) and the best in latin america veterinary faculty. There is also a vast territory of hostels under the name of teacher Omar Dengo.

Park Central
[Av.Central-2/calle Central-2]. It`s devoted for Nicolas Ulloa. At the beginning, there was organized corridas and local fiestas. That was transformed into a park in 1889. In 1898 irritated inhabitants have cut the trees and destroyed all the benches on that in order to be able of having a place of making fun again. It turned to the previous (park) appropriation in 1924. In its central part is played a six-columned kiosko (that seems to be too wide) with ornated attic and mould. Next to that stands a traditional fountain - in form of "drinking glass" with two fishes rounded each other. The park is draped with huge mango trees and palms. There are also the stone-benches and iron-stylized lamps spheres. The grasses are separated from pavements by iron-fences. There is put among others a bust of proffesor Solis Salvatiern and Nicolas Ulloa. Around are situated a few historical stone and brick houses that give the colonial character for the town. They have wooden verandas and glassed halls.

Post office
[Av.Central/calle 2]. It`s placed on the north part of Central Park. It`s ornated building, erected in 1915. It has neoclassic two storeyed facade. The ground-floor is devided by pilasters. The middle part of mould is accentuated by considerable attic. The main entrance stands out of three central gates framed by Jonic columns holding up ornated balcones with arched windows.

School of Argentina
[Av.Central/calle 2]. The corner house placed close to the Central Park, next to the post-office. It was built in years 1888 - 1895 according to design of Leon Tessier. It contains of two storeys and flat roof. It stands out of considerable moulds between the storeys and two-sided steps at the main entrance.

Town-hall
[Av.Central/calle Central-2]. It`s situated on the northern side of Central Park, next to the post-office. That was built up in 1915 in the neoclassic style, of red bricks, with high foundations (on that side used to be placed the older version of town-hall of XVIII century). The facade stands out of wooden gallery with posts holding up the roof.

 
2004; SLUPSK; Rafal Cezary Piechocinski