(76.000). Limon is the capital of the province with same
name and the most important carribbean port in Costa Rica. The place for the town was chosen by eng. Angel Miguel Velasquez. It handles most of
the agricultural trade. It is sited on a rock outcrop. It`s inhabited mainly by
Blacks and Mulattos. It`s placed on the rocky Punta Piuta. Its name derives from the lemon tree, that they say used to
rise at the place being planned for town foundation (1867). (That was strange,
because that specie of tree is very seldom at that part of the country).
There is also the petroleum rafinery. Unlike other towns calles and avenidas in Limon run sequentially (avenidas are just one block away from each other). In 1988 it was evacuated due to the threatement of hurricane Juana. A severe earthquake
from 1991 damaged much of town. On February 24th of 2001 in Limon was born Arnoldo Josua Soto - a 4 million Tico.
|Golden sand beach of Bonita is situated to the north of
town and is limited by steep cliff. There are placed the most upscale hotels in
Building of Black Star Line
|[Av.5/calle 5]. It`s light, wooden, two-storey building housung among others the Social Center. It was built in 1922 on rectangular base. It stands out with low roof which is advanced beyond the walls and square windows. Beneath the mould of each storey there are lines of vent holes. It has thin beams (pales) run through both storeys and support the roof. On the second ground there is the gallery with balustrade.
Building of Cristal
|[Av.1/calle 1]. It`s built on the rectangular base at the beginning of XX century. Two storeyed building. It is stands out with very wide few parted windows and doors embraced by frames with adorned keys. On the first floor there is the gallery round the whole structure with an iron ballustrade.
|Limon is noted for celebrating the biggest in Costa Rica
carnival. It`s held on every year on 10-15 October (so called the Day of Culture
- the anniversary of discovering America by Cristopher Columb). The idea was
first brought to Limon from Panama by a local man named Arthur King. Through the
main town streets come colorfull parades. There are sophisticated constructions
set on platforms, dancers groups, choirs, music bands and crowds of clothes
changers. On Vargas Park are held concerts and different competitions (for
instance for the most crazy head-dress). The first carnival took place in 1949.
Six times during its history was canceled. The last time in 1991 due to the
catastrophic earthquake in Limon province.
|[Av.3-4/calle 6]. It began to build in 1953. It was unusual catedral, because it didn`t face a square like
other Costa Rican catedral does. It was inconspicuous, one naved with two-sloped
roof. It could resemble the elevator. It was distinguished by low dome and corner
tower. Its walls were dotted with high, arched windows. In 2001 was demolished (except the tower) and on its place is building the new structure.
|[Av.6-7/calle 5]. It is built on rectangular base. It`s wooden, one-naved, two-storeyed with two-sided roof. Above the main gate, on four thin beams there is put the triangular roof. It has small arched windows on second ground. Entire structure is separated by concrete fence. It is placed on place the first Baptist church from 1888.
|Concrete, massive structure in art deco style. It`s devided by large pilasters between which are hiden very narrow windows with concrete bars.
|Renovated in caribbean style, have ornate verandas and
wrought-iron balconies. In the majority they are painted in pastel
|[Av.2-3/calle 3-4]. It covers the entire block surface. Traders put their good
on the wooden stalls. It was built in 1849.
Monument of Pablo Presbere
|It was erected in honour of Indian leader. On July 2002 president Abel Pacheco paid the hamage under that.
|[Av.1-2/calle 4]. It`s on the top-floor of the post-office building. In 1981 it was declared the national monument. Inside there
is a Etnographic Museum. There are expositions about history of trailway (pictures), Columb
arrivings, Indian culture. It illustrates also the influence in literature,
education, art, sports and politics that Limon men have made to Costa Rica.
Park Asis Esna
|It is placed in Barrio Trinidad on the northern part of town, aliong the drainage ditch. (Esna was a constructor of playground for children). The park is very narrow placed between the fork of the two streets and covers only 500 m. There are high trees and thick bushes. Lately was built a baseball field.
Park of Balvanero Vargas
|[Av.1-2/calle 1]. Named after a local governor Balvanero Vargas, who established it in 1895. It`s situated on the sea side. There are tropical, brought from Jamaica shrubs and huge royal palms
encircle ornately stuccoed kiosko. On palms often three-toad slothes are
spotted. It`s full of birds and egsotic plants. In the centre of that there is a
kiosko, designed by Cesar Riveflecha. There are also sea-facing murals by artist
Guadelupe Aluerea, depicting images of the province`s history. A bronze bust of
Christopher Columbus and his son Fernando erected in 1990 also faces the
sea. In front of the park, on the northern side, along the
Second Avenida there is a town-hall. Around are placed brightly painted
clapboards hotels and shops.
|A little cove full of fishing boats. Flock of vultures
gather there to feed on lobster scraps left by the local fishermen. At its
southern end there is a good point for surfers. The shore is rocky. In 1666 and 1676 there started the big pirate invasions.
|[Av.1-2/calle 4]. The two-storey building was designed at the beginning of XX century by Cesar Rivaflech. It`s situated opposite of south-east corner of Limon`s Central Market. It`s
resplended with ice-cream-toned pink and green stucco. The second ground is destinguished by iron balconies and rectangular framed windows and the first ground stands out with ornamental arcade niches filled with large windows. On its top-floor there is a Etnohistorical Museum.
|[Av.2/calle 1]. It`s a creamy coloured stucco two-storey town-hall, fine example of
tropical architecture with open arcades, balconies and arched windows with mascarones and pilasters. It`s
placed on a corner where according to the
legend a big lemon tree that gave the name to a town stood. The main fasade proceded by a tiny garden where is placed the commemorative plate devoted to the event of 1992 when three districts of Valle La Estrella, Rio Blanco and Matama were created.