(300 ha), (1978). Belonged to Puntarenas province, the Cano
Island is situated 20 kilometres off the western coast of Osa peninsula. It`s a
product of plate tectonic setting, the subduction of the Cocos Plate beneath the
Caribbean Plate. It was discovered by Juan de Castenada in 1519.
In the centre of the island there is a wide plateau no
higher than 110 metres. It`s covered with a tall evergreen forests. The
predominant species is the enourmuss cow tree, also kniown as the milk tree.
Various species of birds can be seen such as the osprey, brown booby. Some of
the resident mammals are the grey four-eyed opossum, and the paca. Besides there
is also boa constrictor.
The existence of stone spheres, tombs with stone statues,
golden votive offerings and polychrome ceramics gave rise to a theory that the
island was used only as a cementery for important person during the
pre-Columbian period. The island is surrounded by 5 marine platforms or low coral
reefs. Two endanger species that live in the waters around the islands are
lobsters and giant conches.